Fashion Design 5M3865
If you are interested in Fashion Design and learning all about what's involved in designing and making your own clothes then this is the course for you. This one year Programme will introduce you to all the elements involved in creating your own designs and making beautiful unique pieces of clothing. The aim of this course is to give you all the training and skills you need to start you off on a career path in Fashion Design. You can progress to Degree level from GTI, or even start your own business! This course is suitable for school leavers and is also ideal for those who wish to explore the possibility of a career change. Teachers with years of industry experience will assist you to unleash your personal aesthetic and creative vision. You will also have the opportunity to show your designs on the catwalk at the end of year Fashion Show, as part of GTI Fashion Showcase.
- Introduce students to the theory and processes of contemporary fashion design
- Enable students to communicate design ideas effectively
- Provide students with the educational support and professional expertise necessary to pursue a career in Fashion Design
- Enable students to prepare a portfolio of work to present at interview with a prospective employer or at a third level college
- Assist students to develop the range of skills needed to produce a cohesive collection of garments for a fashion show.
- Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, or equivalent
- It is advisable to present a notebook, ideas book or portfolio and any garments produced that would illustrate your interest in fashion.
- Mature applicants welcome
5N0784 Design Skills
5N3845 Fashion Industry & Design Studies
5N1356 Work Experience
5N0764 Combined Materials
5N0755 Appreciation of Art craft& Design
5N1374 Event Production
Learners may also have the opportunity to study Maths as an extra module.
QQI Level 5 Award (5M3865)
GTI has developed a style of teaching to meet the needs of a diverse community of learners.
We make extensive use of advanced multimedia and internet based technologies to bring subject matter to life and to ensure effective learning.
Whenever possible, we use a Learn-by-Doing approach to make the learning experience more realistic and enjoyable.
We provide learning supports that are tailored to the needs of individual learners.
- Level 6 Fasion Design at GTI
Students who successfully complete the course may gain entry to Third Level Institutes and Colleges through the Higher Education Links Scheme. The main degree courses in Fashion Design in Ireland are in Limerick, Dublin and Belfast.
The most up-to-date information on Higher Education Links is located at the CAO website.
Click here for details of CAO QQI Requirements Lookup
Assistant Fashion Designer
Assistant Pattern Drafter
- Student Services Fee: €175
- DES Programme Participation Contribution: €200
- QQI Certification Fees: €50
This is a full-time one-year course and runs from September to May
Full-time registered students of GTI may access a range of adult education courses at a reduced fee.
GTI reserves the right to make changes in any course, to limit the number of places available or to withdraw a course. No part of this information shall be deemed to form a contract between the Institute and a student or third party.
I applied to GTI Fashion Design with very little experience or knowledge of Fashion but in the time I have been here so much has happened - for example I got Work Experience in Brown Thomas thanks to my teachers connections in the fashion industry. I also secured a three week work placement in France through Erasmus + and I have been selected as a finalist in The Irish Innovation Awards Fashion Show Student Category. If you had told me all this could happen in a matter of a few months I would have had trouble believing it. The teachers at GTI are so helpful and encouraging. I couldn't be happier with my choice of college