Strength, Conditioning and Injury Prevention 5M5146
This course has been designed to enable participants to improve their sports skills while gaining recognised qualifications to work in the Sports, Fitness and Leisure industries. The programme combines Strength, Conditioning & Injury Prevention modules with the option of additional qualifications in Personal Training and Fitness Instructing.
Enable participants to enhance and improve their existing sports skills. It has a high practical content, delivered by qualified coaches and is designed to develop existing sports skills to a very high standard as well as introducing students to a broad range of innovative strength, conditioning and injury prevention methods.
Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, or equivalent Letter of recommendation from a recognised club. Interview Mature applicants welcome Skills & Fitness Test
Sport & Recreation Studies 5N2667
Sports Injury Prevention 5N5665
Gaelic Football 5N5085
Sports Anatomy & Physiology 5N4648
Exercise & Fitness 5N2668
Work Experience 5N1356
Sport, Recreation & Exercise QQI 5M5146
- ITEC Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing Gym-Based Exercise
- ITEC Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training Gym-Based Exercise
- PDP1 & PDP2 (FAI)
- Code of Ethics & Child Protection (FAI)
- Additional Certification may incur additional fees.
- Check with Course Teacher for further details
GTI has developed a style of teaching to meet the demands of a diverse community of learners. This course has a very high practical element which involves participants being involved in physical activity on a daily basis. We make extensive use of advanced multimedia and internet based technologies to bring subject matter to life and to ensure effective learning.
Whenever possible, we use a Learn-by-Doing approach to make the learning experience more realistic and enjoyable. We provide learning supports that are tailored to the needs of individual learners.
Students who successfully complete this course may gain entry to Third Level Institutes and Colleges through the Higher Education Links Scheme. The most up-to-date information on Higher Education Links is located at the CAO website. Click here for details of CAO Requirements Lookup Many of our graduates are currently studying sports courses at, *
- Athlone IT,
- Blanchardstown IT,
- Limerick IT and Carlow IT.
- ALIT Athlone Institute of Technology
- AL663 Higher Certificate in Business in Sport & Recreation, Level 6
- LIT Limerick Institute of Technology
- LC422 Sports Strength & Conditioning (Tipperary), Level 8
- LC423 Sports Strength & Conditioning (Tipperary), Level 7
- ITB Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown BN111 Sports Management & Coaching, Level 8 (Minimum 3 Distinctions required)
- CWIT Institute of Technology, Carlow
- CW188 Sports Rehabilitation & Athletic Therapy, Level 8 (Minimum 3 Distinctions required)
- CW198 Strength & Conditioning, Level 8 (Minimum 3 Distinctions required)
- CW106 Physiology & Health Science, Level 6
- CW178 Sports Science, Level 8
- CW827 Sport and Exercise (Soccer), Level 7 Portfolio required
- CW858 Sports Management and Coaching (GAA Rugby Soccer), Level 8 Portfolio and 3 Distinctions required
Coaching, Strength & Conditioning, Personal Training, Fitness Instructing, Health & Leisure Industry, Community Organisations, Wide range of further study options. Scholarships.
Full-time registered students of GTI may access a range of adult education courses at a reduced fee including ITEC Personal Training and Fitness Instructing
GTI reserves the right to make changes in any course, to limit the number of places available or to withdraw a course. No part of this information shall be deemed to form a contract between the Institute and a student or third party.
Students have the opportunity to travel to Glasgow/Portugal/Spain as part of the Erasmus+ programme for 2/3 week work placements
- Student Service Fee: €175
- DES Programme Participation Contribution: €200
- QQI Examination Fees: €50
- GTI Training Kit: €100
Total : €525
GTI was definitely a step in the right direction for me, as during my time here studying sports and leisure-soccer skills,I have learned many new skills from improving my knowledge in the classroom to skills in the gym and one of the biggest highlights of my time here which really developed my social and communication skills was getting the opportunity to undertake work experience in Glasgow. Overall this course really helped and guided me towards my career in the sporting industry, enhancing my skills in more ways than one. I am very grateful to GTI for giving me the opportunity to further continue my studies at the University of Bolton, Manchester, where I am currently a second year student, studying Sports Rehabilitation. Without the help of my teachers here I would not be where I am today.
This is a full-time, one-year course and runs from September - May.