General Studies and Arts - 5M3114
This course provides the ideal starting point for learners who are keen to progress to third level education. It is suitable for those who may be undecided at present as to what they would like to study in the future. It also provides an alternative pathway to third level for some learners. It provides taster courses in Psychology and Sociology and equips the learner with communication, research, study and computer application skills which they can then bring with them to third level. General Studies is also an ideal programme for those who wish to return to education.
• Support progression to 3rd level education
• Facilitate the learner to participate in and understand the disciplines of study, research and writing at 3rd level by developing critical research and inquiry skills
• Facilitate the learner to further develop his/her interpersonal, team working, problem solving and time management skills
• Provide the student with the knowledge and skills to use a range of common computer applications
• Provide an introduction to Psychology and Sociology.
QQI Level 5 5M3114
- Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, or equivalent.
- Mature applicants welcome.
- Research and Study Skills 5N3113
- Psychology 5N0754
- Sociology 5N1370
- Communications 5N0690
- Personal and Professional Development 5N2985
- Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977
- IT Skills 4N1125 & Computer Applications 4N1112
- Word Processing 5N1358
- Student Services Fee: €175
- DES Programme Participation Contribution: €200
- QQI Certification Fee: €50
GTI has developed a style of teaching to meet the needs of a diverse community of learners. We make extensive use of advanced multimedia and internet based technologies to bring subject matter to life and to ensure effective learning. Whenever possible, we use a Learn-by-Doing approach to make the learning experience more realistic and enjoyable. We provide learning supports that are tailored to the needs of individual learners.
To progress to higher education.
To work in a general IT applications area.
To access Third level Arts programme
Students who successfully complete the course may gain entry to Third Level Institutes and Colleges through the Higher Education Links Scheme.
Progression from 5M3114 to all GMIT courses (except Nursing) & many NUIG courses.
THe following is a selection of the most relevant progression options (https://www.cao.ie)
- GY101 Bachelor of Arts Level 8
- GY104 Psychology - Denominated
- GY119 Bachelor of Arts - Journalism
- GY105 Bachelor of Arts - History
- GY133 Bachelor of Arts Education - Computer Science & Mathematical Studies
UL University of Limerick
- LM102 Bachelor of Science in Psychology
LM038 Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Sociology Minimum 5 distincitons
The most up-to-date information on Higher Education Links is located at CAO website. Click here for details of CAO Requirements Lookup
My name is Megan Reddington. I completed the course General Studies in GTI last year. I heard about GTI from my friend who had completed a course there the previous year. I decided a year in GTI would be very beneficial to me. GTI helped me choose a course that suited me at University and that was compatible with the course I was currently persuing at GTI. I gained many friends in GTI. The year there prepared me for college. I am currently in The National University of Ireland, Galway, studying Children Studies with Geography and Irish and Information Technology. I hope to progress on and become a primary school teacher. I graduated from GTI with ten distinctions and a level 5 QQI award. I am so grateful I decided to complete my year there. All my teachers were so helpful and they are the reason I am now at NUIG studying what I wanted. GTI has afforded me the opportunity to follow my career path. It prepared me in every way possible