Course Name - Barbering Techniques QQI 5N3348
Award – Minor Award Barbering Techniques (QQI Level 5) Minor Award 5N3348
Some previous basic experience is necessary in cutting with scissors in either ladies or gents hair. Eg. one may have completed the Introduction to Barbering course previously.
Participants are required to supply own models for exams.
This course is suitable for participants who have basic knowledge in Barbering or Hairdressing. This programme module aims to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to use barbering techniques within the hairdressing and barbering industry, operating independently while under general supervision.
Examination – Theory 30%
Examination – Practical 70%
Learning Outcomes of Level 5 Barbering Techniques 5N3348 Learners will be able to:
1. Explain how to use barbering tools, equipment and accessories to achieve the desired hairstyle, in accordance with health and safety requirements and manufacturer’s instructions
2. Describe a variety of men's hairstyles
3. Discuss and identify hair and scalp conditions to include contagious and non-contagious disorders
4. Examine hairstyle required and factors that influence the end hairstyle for example hair texture, hair condition and growth pattern
5. Discuss the different cutting techniques for men’s hair to include scissors over comb, clippers over comb, tapering, texturising, outlining and detailing
6. Explain the importance of following the natural facial hairline on full beards
7. Recommend correct salon and after care products for a range of hair and skin types, and scalp conditions
8. Use barbering tools and electrical equipment in accordance with health and safety requirements and manufacturer’s instructions
9. Apply barbering techniques using selected cutting tools to achieve the desired hairstyle
10. Apply barbering techniques using selected cutting tools to achieve the desired facial hair shapes
11. Apply blow drying techniques using appropriate equipment and finishing products
12. Perform a range of haircuts to include a tapered neckline, a squared neckline and a uniform layered cut
13. Employ the use of various cutting attachments to achieve different hair lengths
14. Cross check the haircut to ensure a balanced look
15. Create balanced and shaped sideburns that suit the required hairstyle
Tutor Biography I have been tutoring for the past 6 years in GTI and have 32 years experience. I find it very rewarding to share my knowledge and skill with others who want to improve their skill or learn a new one. QQI Level 5 is structured to give one the knowledge, help and encouragement that is needed to progress further. This course is very much hands-on and practice is encouraged outside of class.
email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The €20 Material fee incliuded in the price of the course will cover towels, shampoo, conditioner and tutor supplied materials for class demonstration
All Participants will also be required to purchase a Barbering kit for own use which should include:
Participants are requested to purchase above materials for own use.
Materials can be purchased separately. It is advisable to shop around and also enquire about student discount.
List of some but not all Hairdressing suppliers.
Salon Services Ballybane Industrial Estate, Tuam Rd, Galway. Phone: (091) 751 377
The Hair and Beauty, Ballybane Industrial Estate, Tuam Rd, Galway. Phone: (091) 773 011 also eyre square.
Flair Hair & Beauty Supplies Sean Mulvoy Road, Galway. Phone: (091) 771 535.