Music Performance and Production 5M2011
This course provides learners with the skills and knowledge required to succeed in the professional music industry. The students will gain knowledge of music theory and its practical application to musical styles and genres including writing their own songs. Students explore the structure of the music industry in addition to gaining practical skills in recording and producing music in a modern production environment. Students also learn how to plan and organise events as part of the course.
Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, or equivalent.
Mature Applicants welcome
Music Theory and Practice 5N1849
Music Performance 5N1301
Music Industry 5N1458
Sound Engineering and Production 5N1900
Music Technology 5N1640
Work Experience 5N1356
Event Production 5N1374
Learners may also have the opportunity to study Maths as an extra module.
Throughout the year, students work on assigned projects proving their competence in a number of practical skill demonstrations. There is class room support for theoretical aspects of the programme. At the end of the year, written examinations are completed in certain subjects.
QQI Level 5 Award in Music (5M20599)
Successful completion of this Level 5 Award may lead to entry into the Level 6 Course in Media Production at GTI. Additionally, students who successfully complete this course may entry to Third Level Institutes and Colleges through the Higher Education Links Schemes.
The most up-to-date information on Higher Education Links is located at the CAO website.
Click here for details of CAO Requirements Lookup.
Graduates of this programme may find employment in the Music and related Media Industries as Musicians, Sound Engineers, Music Producers, Managers, Agents, Promoters and many other professions.
Students have the option to achieve ABRSM ( Associated Board Royal Society of Music) qualifications ( Grades 1-5 ) depending on prior experience.
- Student Services Fee: €175
- DES Programme Participation Contribution: €200
- QQI Examination Fees: €50
This is a full-time one-year course and runs from September to May
- The year that I have spent at GTI studying Music Production has greatly exceeded my expectations. The equipment used on the course is state of the art, with Apple Mac computers and a music keyboard at every desk, running software such as Ableton Live and Apple Logic among others. The real surprise this year was the passion and commitment of the tutors, driving the course to much greater heights than the strict confines of the syllabus, forging a team mentality among the group and creating a positive and enjoyable environment in which to learn.
Dermot O' Hare
- I found the time I spent in GTI to be invaluable. From the very first day I was greeted with a warm atmosphere combined with years of experience and an ambition for professionalism. I was given a number of modules which helped us grasp the production of music using digital audio workstations while also learning the theory and practice of music, I still use this knowledge today. Given access to world class programs such as Logic Pro X and Ableton I was allowed to see how a studio is operated. I was also shown how to handle live sound equipment in the form of P.A. systems. All in all, the time I spent in Music Production Level 5 was the best experience I've ever had in education. I've since gone on to the Level 6 Media Production and have received employment within the media as a sound engineer.
I found this course to be a perfect introduction to the world of music and the many aspects of it- from event planning to melody composition, sound engineering to music industry studies. This course gives you a great opportunity to brush up on your music theory skills or even learn from scratch like I did. We also got to have fun with top class music editing software and make our own songs which was fun. I learned so much and really enjoyed the year!
GTI reserves the right to make changes in any course, to limit the number of places available or to withdraw a course. No part of this information shall be deemed to form a contract between the Institute and a student or third party.