Applied Social Studies 5M2181
Applied Social Studies will introduce you to the theory and practice of the key areas of social studies and social care. This is the ideal starting point if you wish to progress to further studies or gain employment in a variety of community, health and educational organisations.
Enable students explore the theory and practice of the key areas of social studies by addressing a wide range of social issues
Enable students evaluate the need for care in society and develop an understanding of care provision in the public, private and voluntary sectors
Develop an awareness of the impact of social exclusion and disadvantage on the lives of individuals and an understanding of the interventions social care has to offer.
Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, or equivalent.
Mature applicants welcome.
Social Studies 5N1370
Intercultural Studies 5N0765
Work Experience 5N1356
Political Studies 5N1837
Human Growth & Development 5N1279
Care Support 5N0758
Learners may also have the opportunity to study Maths as an extra module.
GTI has developed a style of teaching to meet the needs of a diverse community of learners.
We make extensive use of advanced multimedia and internet based technologies to bring subject matter to life and to ensure effective learning.
Whenever possible, we use a Learn-by-Doing approach to make the learning experience more realistic and enjoyable.
We provide learning supports that are tailored to the needs of individual learners.
· Students who successfully complete the course may gain entry to Third Level Institutes and Colleges through the Higher Education Links Scheme.
· Progression from 5M2181 to all GMIT courses (except Nursing) and many NUIG courses.
The following is a selection of the most relevant courses (see CAO for more):
AIT Athlone Institute of Technology
ITSligo Institute of Technology Sligo
GMIT Galway Mayo Institute of Technology
- GA879 Applied Social Care Castlebar campus
NUIG National University of Ireland Galway
- GY104 BSc Psychology
- GY105 History
- GY110 Children and Youth Studies
- GY111 English and Creative Writing
- GY113 Arts with Human Rights
- GY115 Arts with Performing Arts Studies
- GY118 Arts Drama Theatre Performance Studies
- GY119 Arts Journalism
- GY124 Arts with Data Science
- GY125 Arts (Film & Digital Media)
- GY129 Arts (Global Experience)
- GY133 Arts(Computer Science with Math Studies)
- GY135 Arts with Global Media
- GY136 Na Dána (Léann Teanga)
- GY132 Government (Politics Economics and Law)
The most up-to-date information on Higher Education Links is located at the CAO website. Click here for details of CAO QQI Requirements Lookup
- Student Services Fee: €175
- DES Programme Participation Contribution: €200
- QQI Certification Fees: €50
Students who successfully complete the course may gain employment in a wide variety of organisations such as residential centres, refuge hostels, family support services, educational organisations & community support projects.
QQI Level 5 Award in Applied Social Studies (5M2181)
This is a full-time one-year course and runs from September to May.
Full-time registered students of GTI may access a range of adult education courses at a reduced fee.
- At registration students will be requested to complete the necessary documentation in order to satisfy Garda Vetting before they commence Work Experience.
- GTI reserves the right to make changes in any course, to limit the number of places available or to withdraw a course. No part of this information shall be deemed to form a contract between the Institute and a student or third party.
I knew that I wanted to study in the area of Social care but I was unsure of the course I wanted to do as this area is so broad. I wanted to know more about the Social Studies programme and what it contained before I planned on dedicating the next four years of my life to it. I found this course online and I researched it thoroughly, I also called members of staff to get more information about the course which I found to be very helpful as they gave me a clearer idea of the Applied Social Studies course. I found the course to be more than I expected as the help and support I received throughout the year from members of staff and my lecturers in GTI was amazing and to a very high standard , the course also offered me hands on experience in this area of social care through my work placement which I found as a great benefit. This course was a great stepping stone to help me receive a place in third level college, due to this course I now have a place on a Level 8 course in NUIG where I am continuing my studies in Sociology and Psychology through Arts. I hope you all have the great experience I encountered while studying in the GTI.