Apprenticeship Preparatory Programme: Carpentry/Plumbing/Electrical 5M5010
This programme provides learners with the foundation required to pursue an apprenticeship in the building trades. It is the ideal starting point to explore the various apprenticeship options available. Students will gain hands-on experience in carpentry, plumbing and electrical installation.
provide participants with a hands-on introduction to the broad range of the skills required to work in the construction industry
prepare students for apprenticeships in construction related areas
prepare participants for entry to ordinary level degree and honours degree programmes related to the construction industry
Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, or equivalent
Pre-entry guidance meeting
Mature applicants welcome
GTI has developed a style of teaching to meet the needs of a diverse community of learners
A practical based course where learning takes place primarily in workshops and drawing rooms
We make extensive use of advanced multimedia and internet technologies to bring subject matter to life and to ensure effective learning
Whenever possible, we use a Learn-by-Doing approach to make the learning experience more realistic and enjoyable
We provide learning supports that are tailored to the needs of individual learners
- Building Construction 5N1570
- Computer Aided Draughting (CAD) 5N1604
- Architectural Drawing 5N1558
- Safety and Health at Work 5N1794
- Building Services 5N4974
- Communications 5N0690
- Work Experience 5N1356
- Maths 5N1833
- Wood Fabrication 5N1999
- Safe Pass Certificate [Additional Fee applies - Check with Course Teacher]
- Students who successfully complete the course may gain entry to Third Level Institutes and Colleges through the Higher Education Links Scheme.
- Progression from 5M5010 to all Atlantic Technological University (ATU) Galway courses apart from Nursing. The following are the most relevant:
The most up-to-date information on Higher Education Links is located at CAO website.
- Apprenticeships in Construction related areas
Third level courses which may give preference to successful graduates of this course:
Health and Safety
This is a full-time one-year course and runs from September to May
Full-time registered students of GTI may access a range of adult education courses at a reduced fee
Student Contribution: €175
Please note: Additional charges may apply. Details TBC.
GTI reserves the right to make changes in any course, to limit the number of places available or to withdraw a course. No part of this information shall be deemed to form a contract between the Institute and a student or third party.