Emergency Care Services 5M4468
This programme provides learners with the foundation knowledge and skills required to pursue a career in the emergency services.
introduce you to the challenges and opportunities of working in emergency frontline public services. Careers such as Paramedic, Emergency Medical Technician, Intermediate Care Operative, Emergency Call Operative and Fire Services will be introduced to you and help you prepare for further study in this area.
- Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, or equivalent.
- Pre-entry guidance meeting
- Mature applicants welcome
- At registration students will be requested to complete the necessary documentation in order to complete a successful garda vetting process. Garda clearance is a mandatory requirement for work placement
- Care Provision & Practice 5N2705
- Anatomy & Physiology 5N0749
- Infection Prevention & Control 5N3734
- Safety and Health at Work 5N1794
- Emergency Department Care Skills 5N4890
- Word Processing 5N1358
- Communications 5N0690
- Work Experience 5N1356
- Care of the Older Person 5N2706
- Opportunity to apply for Erasmus+ work placement
Students who successfully complete the course may gain entry to third level institutes and colleges through the Higher Education Links Scheme. Graduates may also apply to Student Paramedic degree with National Ambulance Service College (subject to NAS/UCC eligibility criteria.) https://www.nationalambulanceservice.ie/nascollege/student-paramedic/
Former students have also progressed to paramedic degree courses (subject to CAO criteria) and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) courses.
*3rd Level Progression options include:
*Atlantic Technological University (ATU) Galway
University of Galway
Technological University Shannon (TUS) Athlone
Atlantic Technological University (ATU) Sligo
For full details and further progression pathways please see
GTI has developed a style of teaching to meet the needs of a diverse community of learners. We make extensive use of advanced multimedia and internet based technologies to bring subject matter to life and to ensure effective learning. Whenever possible, we use a Learn-by-Doing approach to make the learning experience more realistic and enjoyable. We provide learning supports that are tailored to the needs of individual learners.
This is a full-time one-year course and runs from September to May.
GTI reserves the right to make changes in any course, to limit the number of places available or to withdraw a course. No part of this information shall be deemed to form a contract between the Institute and a student or third party
Full-time registered students of GTI may access a range of adult education courses at a reduced fee.
Student Contribution: €175
Please note: Additional charges may apply. Details TBC.
QQI Level 5 Award: Community Health Services
QQI Code: 5M4468
- First Aid Responder(FAR) certified by PHECC
- Patient Moving & Manual Handling
- ECG Skills
May incur additional costs. Check with class teacher for details.
- Emergency First Responder (EFR) Cost: €400 This course is offered in conjunction with Lifeline Education and is Pre- Hospital Emergency Care Council ( PHECC ) certified. Fee is subject to change.
The course was a chance for me to mature, meet new people and broaden my opportunities. I received a student award from GRETB and also gained a full QQI Level 5 award. On completion of the course I was offered a place on the Paramedic Science degree at Anglia Ruskin University in the UK. I received training with the London Ambulance Service as part of my studies and after three years study and further job experience I hope to return home to apply for jobs as a fully qualified paramedic. My dream has been realised because I studied to GTI.