Pre-University Arts - 5M3114
This course provides the ideal starting point for learners who are keen to progress to third level education. It is suitable for those who may be undecided at present as to what they would like to study in the future. It also provides an alternative pathway to third level for some learners. It provides taster courses in Psychology and Sociology and equips the learner with communication, research, study and computer application skills which they can then bring with them to third level. Pre-University Arts is also an ideal programme for those who wish to return to education.
• Support progression to 3rd level education
• Facilitate the learner to participate in and understand the disciplines of study, research and writing at 3rd level by developing critical research and inquiry skills
• Facilitate the learner to further develop his/her interpersonal, team working, problem solving and time management skills
• Provide the student with the knowledge and skills to use a range of common computer applications
• Provide an introduction to Psychology and Sociology.
QQI Level 5 5M3114
- Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, or equivalent.
- Mature applicants welcome.
- Research and Study Skills 5N3113
- Psychology 5N0754
- Social Studies 5N1370
- European Studies 5N1444
- Communications 5N0690
- Personal and Professional Development 5N2985
- Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977
- IT Skills 4N1125 & Computer Applications 4N1112
- Word Processing 5N1358
- Student Services Fee: €175
GTI has developed a style of teaching to meet the needs of a diverse community of learners. We make extensive use of advanced multimedia and internet based technologies to bring subject matter to life and to ensure effective learning. Whenever possible, we use a Learn-by-Doing approach to make the learning experience more realistic and enjoyable. We provide learning supports that are tailored to the needs of individual learners.
Learners may also have the opportunity to study Maths as an extra module
Students who successfully complete the course may gain entry to Third Level Institutes and Colleges through the Higher Education Links Scheme.
Progression from 5M3114 to all ATU courses (except Nursing) & many University of Galway courses.
The following is a selection of the most relevant progression options * CAO
University of Galway
GY133 Bachelor of Arts Education - Computer Science & Mathematical Studies
UL University of Limerick
- LM102 Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- LM038 Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Sociology Minimum 5 distincitons
UCD (University College Dublin)
DN520 BA Two-Subject FT (BAU5) UCD's two subject BA Arts Degree DN530 - Languages, Linguistics and Culture
- The most up-to-date information on Higher Education Links is located at CAO website. Click for details of CAO Requirements Lookup
Pre-University Arts gave me another chance to prove I had the ability to go to university as I didn't perform well in my leaving certificate. I'm currently studying sociology and criminology in Bermingham University after receiving UCAS offers of paces on courses in Northampton, Coventry and Leicester. I also got two CAO offers to study DN700 BSc Social Sciences and DN520 BA Joint honours in UCD. Because of GTI support I'm now doing my dream course in a new country and new environment. (Ataria Tabi 2021)
I chose to study Pre University Arts in GTI after coming to the realisation that the course I had undertaken in college was not something I wished to pursue. However, I had not taken a third language for my Leaving Cert exams and so found myself without one of the minimum requirements to attend the majority of Level 8 courses across any university in the country. I began my studies in GTI simply as a means to an end to proceed back into University once more, but it quicly became one of the most impactful and beneficial decisions I have ever made.
GTI helped me settle myself. I regained the confidence I had lost in my academic abilities after dropping out of college and I developed unique skills and techniques that will serve me well as I return to NUIG to study a Bachelor of Arts degree with English.
I would highly recommend registering for a course in GTI for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation to my own or anyone who is unsure of immediately entering college after finishing the leaving cert. The teachers and staff were extraordinarily dedicated and kind throughout the duration of the course and beyond. I have nothing but respect and admiration for them as they helped me through quite an uncertain stage of my life and provided me with the ability to competently continue my academic pursuits. (Stephen Kelly Pre University Arts 2021)
Full-time registered students of GTI may access a range of part-time courses at reduced rates.
GTI reserves the right to make changes in any course, to limit the number of paces available or to withdraw a course. No part of this information shall be deemed to form a contract between the Institute and a student or third party.